The Parish of Thundersley
Welcome to St Peter’s Church
St Peters is the Parish Church of Thundersley.
The original Church on the St Peter’s site was dedicated to St Michael, and was erected in 1120. In 1215, on Christmas Day, it was burnt down although parts of the structure were saved. A new chancel was built and dedicated to Saint Peter and was opened on St. Peters Day (June 23rd) in 1230
The new extension to the church was built in 1966
St Peter’s Church is in the Parish Church of Thundersley, located in Church Road on top of a hill which gives far reaching views. It sits within a large, peaceful cemetery and is surrounded by many trees. Our large Church field adjoins Coombe Wood which has Village Green Status.
The Church is Grade 11* Listed, dating back to the mid 1200’s with earlier origins, being at least the second Church built on this site. It has a large airy and striking, Civic Award winning, 1966 extension and can accommodate around 200 people.
The Parish Office and John Pond Room (which is used for various meetings) is opposite the Church and is usually open weekday mornings. It was refurbished in 2015.
Our Sunday Services are at 8 am (mainly Holy Communion taken in the Ancient part of the Church) and 11 am Sung Eucharist, which is held in the main worship area.
A Communion Services is held on a Thursday Morning at 10-30 am
Our hall and car park complex consists of a large hall, unusually for these days, with a full size stage being perfect for productions and performances. Also, a smaller hall, as well as a large fully equipped kitchen, lobby area with kitchenette and spacious store. The halls are used by many local organisations and serve the community very well.
We offer a warm welcome to all who come to this place.